Print

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sprinkle Sugar Cookies

Who doesn't love sprinkles?

Shared by Tara Kennedy, courtesy of King Arthur Flour

I first tasted these sprinkle cookies at Tara's house. I'm really picky about a sugar cookie because I've always thought my mother had the best recipe! I was surprised when after my first bite, I wanted to finish the whole cookie. They are soft and chewy and I LOVE them...when she told me her 4 year old son made them, I knew I needed the recipe! We made these cookies when her kids spent the night at our house. 

To be honest I've never understand the purpose of sprinkles. I'm not a fan of adding them to my ice cream or topping a cupcake with them. But for some reason I love them on these cookies. It is the perfect combination. 

Here's to baking with your kids!

Dough
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese (2 oz)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 large egg
*tips from our bakers #1

Topping
3/4 cup sugar for dredging and don't forget sprinkles!

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line with parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt. set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts, and the egg, and *corn syrup; scrape the sides and bottom of then bowl. Add the flour mixture, and mix a flow to medium speed until the mixture is evenly moistened. Place the 3/4 cup sugar in a shallow pan (along with sprinkles). Scoop the dough by tablespoonfuls into the sugar/sprinkles, rolling them in the pan. Place on the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2" between them.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. The edges of the cookies will just barely begin to brown.

(I love that these were very quick to make..whereas my mother's recipe is so delicious just takes forever by the time you roll out cookies to cut and bake)

*Tips from our bakers
1) If you like a chewier moister, "bendy" cookie, add 2 Tbsp corn syrup to the dough. The cookies will spread out a little more and be 1/4" thick one they're baked.

2) For rollout cookies, make the dough with 3 1/2 cups four; place the dough in a plastic bag, flatten it into a disk, and chill for 1 hour before rolling it out and cutting. Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, until golden brown at the edges. The recipe will make 6 dozen 2" cookies.

3) For a crisper cookie, flatten the balls of dough to 1/2 " thick with the bottom of a drinking glass before baking. Check the cookies at 8 minutes to make sure they're not becoming brown.

4) For a snicker doodle roll the unbaked cookies in cinnamon sugar.

No comments: